Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Today was a beautiful fall day- we decided to take in a local pumpkin fair to enjoy some of our last moments of nice weather before winter. We saw lots of pumpkins, farm animals and Blake even got to jump in a big blow up bouncer. He loved it, and in true 1 1/2 year old fashion... threw a little bit of a fit when it was time to get out!
Blake enjoyed seeing the horses, llamas, goats and turkey... this horse loved kids and came right up to the fence to greet us. Blake was brave enough to pet him and when I asked him what the horse's name was, he said 'Blake!'
Sadly, we really don't have many pictures of all four of us together so it was fun to snap this one today.
Blake has had a big week. After putting it off and putting it off... we decided it was finally time to say goodbye to the pacifier. He was only using it at night and during naps- but we were afraid that he would have a rough time without it. Surprisingly, it was a very easy transition. He asked about it a few times but we simply told him that his 'paci' went bye bye and he understood!
An even bigger milestone... Blake is sleeping in his brand new big boy bed!! We bought a bed that was in my hometown, and Grandma and Grandpa Glace brought it up for us today. He did get out of bed once but I am proud to say he is sound asleep as we speak. I'm feeling a little emotional seeing him in his big bed... he's growing up way too fast!
Posted by The Farwells at 7:39 PM
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
This is my very first blog tag. I was tagged by my sister Emily... here we go!
1. I have a very unhealthy relationship with my broom, dust rag, vacuum and Ajax! I like to keep my house nice and clean- which sounds good, but weird that I find myself enjoying it way too much. Nolan often says that if the kids go down for nap at the same time I should rest myself- No way... there's cleaning to be done!
2. I have very little self control. As a physical education and health major and lover of exercise- I try to keep healthy snacks around and feed my family as well as possible. We rarely have sweets around our house... but when we do, look out! Nolan and I ate a row of oreos last night- opps!
3. I am a huge Royals fan! The reason I hate to admit that fact is because they are absolutely terrible and have been for years! Most people would give up on a team like the Royals, not me... next year is our year. (I've been saying that for years, but one of these years it will be true)
4. My oven ruins my cookies! When I have a batch of cookies go bad, I blame the oven when it quite possibly could have been something I did wrong. However, we just got a new oven last week, so the next time one of my recipes doesn't turn out quite right... I'll have to fess up.
5. I like the 'farm' smell. I hear what you're saying... that's gross! But I actually do like it, it reminds me of exploring in the cow pasture when we were young and reminds both Nolan and I of what it was like growing up country. Someday... we'll be back in the country with plenty of room for Blake and Brenna to roam.
Okay... there it is. Now I guess I have to tag two people to pass this on. Annie and Erika- you've been tagged! =)
Posted by The Farwells at 7:59 AM
Sunday, October 19, 2008
We've had a long week with Blake battling croup. Normally croup last 2 or 3 days... but it's Sunday now, meaning he has had it for 8 days! He hasn't gotten very solid sleep with the coughing, which makes for fussier tired days. We went back to the doctor with him on Friday and she gave him a prescription that seems to be doing the trick... he is getting better by the hour!
This is how we found Blake after his afternoon nap on Saturday...
Notice the shirt around his tummy... silly boy!
Brenna had her 4 month check up on Friday. She weighs 12 lbs 10 oz- under the 50th percentile and is between the 10th and 25th percentile for height. In the doctor's words she is a 'cute, petite little girl.'
We got to see Grandma and Grandpa Glace on Saturday... in fact, it was the first time we had all 6 Glace cousins together at one time! I wish I had a picture of them all together!
Blake spent the day enjoying the weather at the park with daddy and the night enjoying a sink full of bubbles! He couldn't get enough of them and fussed when we said it was time to get pajamas on. Here is a picture of him showing me his 'hammer' (aka Spoon).
Posted by The Farwells at 5:47 PM
Monday, October 13, 2008
Let's talk about Brenna... she rolled over for the first time today! She was laying on her back in the living room and getting very angry that she dropped the teddy bear she was holding (and trying to eat) to her side. I watched from the kitchen as she worked and worked to get that bear and over she went.
She enjoys tummy time, and Blake is starting to enjoy her tummy time as well. He laughs and laughs when she sticks her head straight up in the air to look at him. She is a strong little girl but I don't think she will be crawling at 5 months like her big brother was!
Brenna is also sleeping through the night! She has been for a few weeks now and we are loving it. She now goes to bed around 8:30 and has been waking up at about 6:00 to eat in the morning- she does go back to sleep though so I can get a few more minutes of shut eye.
This girl loves to giggle, here is a video we took before bed about a week ago. You can catch the same little 'giggle game' played with Blake when he was a babe by clicking here. (thought you might like a little glimpse of the past!)
Now let's talk about Blake... Poor little guy once again came down with croup in the middle of the night Saturday. I was up with him most of the night doing everything I could to help him relax and get good deep breaths. Sunday morning Nolan took him to urgent care while I got a little rest, they came home with a nebulizer and medication. The doctor told Nolan that because Blake has gotten croup multiple times, he thought that insurance would now cover the cost of getting a nebulizer for us to keep here at the house- wonderful news! He is still under the weather today- pretty grumpy and doesn't really know what to do with himself. I'm thinking a trip to get some ice cream may be in order this evening... to relieve his sore throat of course! Oh the things we moms have to go through to help our sick children! =)
I ran my first race since before Blake was born on Saturday! So exciting! I ran in the Iowa's Best Muscle 5K... now, I know I don't have the best muscle, or any muscle for that matter but I did pretty well! I got 2nd in my age group and was the 3rd female finisher overall... not too bad. The race proceeds benefitted the Potter's Hand ministry- a ministry that gives grants to Christian family's to help with the financial burden in the adoption process.
That's about it from the Farwell home for now, more updates to come...
Posted by The Farwells at 11:06 AM